The biggest challenge for me in Photoshop was the "Monster" project. Even though I thought my project turned out good, I struggled making it. Learning all of the new tools to make the wounds look real definitely made the project harder than the others. I used a hue/saturation adjustment, layer masks, clipping masks, bevel/ emboss effect, quick selection, clone stamp, polygon lasso, and the burn tool.
One of the first challenges I had with my "zombie classmate" was his shirt. It originally had a very busy image on it and so I had to use the clone stamp to make it entirely black. When using the clone stamp, I had to use different parts of the shirt to make it look like there had never been an image on it. It was a challenge to place wrinkles in the most natural place on the shirt.
Another challenge with the shirt was making the cuts to show the wounds through it. I used the Polygon Lasso tool to make a jagged shape. It was hard to make the shapes look like rips in the shirt. With the ripped shape, I made a layer mask and filled in the shape with black so that it would be hidden. I then found some wound pictures on the Internet and moved them onto my project. I placed the wound picture layer above the classmate picture layer, used ALT and clicked between the two layers to clip the wound into the hidden area. This whole process was new to me and sort of confusing. I wish that I would've added more rips to my classmate's shirt. I think that would've added to the zombie and gore effect.
Making the dark areas under the eyes, on the neck, and in the creases of the left arm proved to also be another challenge. Using the Burn tool was not the challenge, it was once again the realistic part that was the problem. I was wanting the effect of bruises and sunken eyes. I went back and forth constantly between the Burn tool to darken the areas and the Dodge tool to lighten them back up, trying to find the perfect "bruise" effect.
A fourth challenge was changing the skin color to a dull gray using the Hue/Saturation adjustment layer. I used the Quick Selection tool and zoomed up extremely close, making sure I only selected the skin and not the hair, shirt, or background. This selection was somewhat difficult because it had to be pretty spot on. Finding a good skin color so that my zombie didn't look fake and blended well with the background was only a matter of experimenting with the hue and saturation slides. I slid the hue slide toward the blue so I would get more of a gray color. I slid the saturation slide to the left to dull the color.
The final challenge that I had with my "Monster" project was creating the blood on the face and the nails. Using the Eye Dropper tool, I "stole" colors from the wounds in the shirt and drew small dots. Then under "Filters" I chose the "Liquify Filter". Once under that window, I picked the Bloat feature, which enlarges portions of a layer, and I bloated the bottoms of my blood droplets to make them look real. After this, I bevel and embossed the droplets to make them stand out. I struggled with making good droplets and finding the most realistic colors for them.
This project was the most challenging because of all the new tools I learned and the struggle of making everything look real.